I started making coconut bacon back in Australia as an alternative to the pig derived stuff. I’m a big fan of liquid smoke and I love the smoky, sweet, salty flavour that coconut bacon imparts. Use it where you would use bacon- mixed through pasta or salad, a top a baked potato, in a sandwich, it’s delicious!
My bacon is quite dark as I like to make sure it is quite crisp and I also use dark ingredients like liquid smoke and tamari. You can of course cook it little less!
- 2 cup large flake, unsweetened coconut
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or agave
- Combine ingredients together. mix and make sure the coconut is evenly coated.
- Heat fry pan to a low heat
- Add coconut and cook until crisp, you ideally want some softer bits and some darker crunchy bits. It will continue to crisp as it cools.